Thursday, June 4, 2009

Maybe I'll be a farm girl yet

What you may not know about me is that I grew up on a 310 acre farm about 40 mintues outside of Brisbane. At 11 years of age, I could walk that farm in bare feet, run down the hill and dive bomb into the mirky dam below, without a second thought. We ran about 100 head of beef cattle and slaughtered said cattle, for our meat. Now, I was pretty much a tomboy, (and then I honestly don't know what happened to me.....I became more of a girl!!). I didn't mind getting dirty and working hard but I hated slaughter day. My job was working the mincer. I still to this day can not and will not eat red meat (also aided by the fact that my pet cow somehow ended up on our plates). So you wouldn't believe the path that life takes me on. In my quest to eat locally, organically and in a sustainable manner, last night I found myself, not butchering cows but, chickens. My friend raises meat and laying hens. I have always loved having hens. The eggs are so good and I find the chickens themselves so social and fun to have around. Now meat birds, are another thing and I had no idea that raising them was such a stinky job and they were so ugly!! But I do love organic chicken and what better than those raised by my friend and prepared by my own hand. I don't know if any of you have had to 'prepare' your own live food before but I was finding the task a little hard to face. I honestly didn't know if I could do it. But, this is farming and if I believe in the things I believe in, then I needed to step up. I didn't actually have to do the slaughtering but worked the plucker machine (what a awesome invention that is) and then, take off the head and feet. The gutting process probably was the hardest for me. But at the end of the day, am I glad I helped and learned?...yes I am. Am I really glad that I have wholesum organic chickens in my freezer....yes I am.
The Plucker (aka Binford 500!!!)
Where the chickens met their end...
The 'work' table
Now on a brighter note, I thought I would give you the latest update from our 'music' room....

And this is how we spent our lovely Spring afternoon. Playing hockey in the front drive with the boys. We also have a guest with us for the weekend.....meet Molly. Isn't she cute? Kevin's parents are away for the weekend so Molly is having a sleep over. I am back to work tomorrow so I will probably see you in a couple of days. Happy weekend to you!




No comments: